Wednesday, July 03, 2013

I am Free!

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free…”   --Jesus in Luke 4:18
Happy Independence Day, everybody! In our journey this summer through the final days of Jesus’ life we see such a vivid portrayal of freedom!  While arrested, (illegally) tried, beaten, and crucified, Jesus’ will emerge throughout as the freest person in the story.  There is something there for you and me! 

While I have unspeakable gratitude for the freedoms we experience in our country, and for the men and women who serve our country and protect that freedom, I absolutely am blown away at the freedom we have in Christ, and am freshly in awe at the God who died to set me free. This morning, I made a short list of the freedom that was given to me through Jesus.

Because of Jesus, I am free:
  Psalm 146:7 - From a prison of fear, worry and hopelessness.
  Romans 6:18 - From the penalty, grip and power of sin. It can’t control me anymore.
  2 Corinthians 3:17 - In the power of the Holy spirit to worship and glorify God with my life.
  Matthew 10:8 - To be generous with my life, my love, my “stuff” and my money.
  1 Corinthians 15:55 - From my greatest enemy, death!
  Colossians 2:15 - From the lies, threats and power of Satan and his demonic minions.

While we celebrate our national freedom once a year as a country, we should be celebrating our spiritual freedoms every day as followers of Christ!  This Sunday we will be celebrating freedom big time. 

What can you expect on Sunday? Awesome community, celebrating the Lord’s Supper, and digging into the Word, looking at how Jesus gave grace and forgiveness to Peter!  It is one of the greatest comeback stories in history.  I can’t wait to share it with you.

I love being your pastor!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home